Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The United States of US!

We won.

I don't mean me. I don't mean my liberal buddies. I don't mean democrats.

I mean us. We.

We won.

I know not all of you like what happened last night. I know that some of you are quite upset. But no matter who you voted for, you have to understand that we all won.

America won last night.

For the first time in American history, we have a black president. Do you understand how big this is? Whether you like it or not, this is huge. And this is good.

Your children will learn about this in school. They will ask you about it. Where were you? What did you think?

What will you tell them?

Will you tell them that you were upset that the old white guy didn't win like he has won every single election since the United States was born?

Or will you tell them that it was a great time to be an American. A great moment to have watched, to have participated in, no matter which side the winner was on.

This is a big deal kids. This is history.


-------


I cried last night. I couldn't stop smiling and I cried so many times. This is a big deal. This is huge. This is great.

For the first time in my life, I am proud to be an American.


--------


Obama will be sworn in January 20th, 2009. It will mark the 100th anniversary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Obama got his start in politics in Springfield, Illinois. It was a race riot in Springfield, Illinois that led to the creation of NAACP.

For African Americans, when their children said, "I want to be a doctor, I want to be a lawyer, I want to be a politician, I want to be an astronaut." They always could point to an African American who achieved it. But whenever a kid said, "I want to be president," I literally saw black parents saying, "Son (or daughter), you might think of being something else." I have nine nieces and four nephews. When I talk to them, I can actually say that and mean it.
-Roland S. Martin

1 comment:

Toi said...

I was so unbelievably happy last night; euphoria is the only word I can use to describe it.

I am so unbelievably proud of my country, not just for electing Obama, but for voting. For standing in line, sometimes for hours, to take part in our government. People in other parts of the world can only dream of being able to do that. We did it and we used our vote to not only choose a President, but to chose the first African-American President, the first President from Hawaii, hell, the first President to truly represent the diversity of America. I'm so proud to live during this moment.

One of the best comments I read about the results of the election was this: "Since 9/11, Americans have been assailed with reports of terrorist threats and imminent dangers. It led us to be afraid. But, last night, for the first time since 9/11, Americans didn't vote with their fears. Americans voted with hope."